Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Lunch Was Better Than Yours - Nice, France

Don't hate me because my pizza was so good, and my carafe of wine was 4 Euros - OK you can hate me.
 
Hello peeps, yes I am in Nice and it was the perfect cure for the London no-sun-for-the-next-10-days blues. It was partly cloudy and about 65 degrees (I am obviously still not used to Celsius temperatures). I effing love France. They know how to live, and men in scarves are lovely - I don't care what anyone says.

I was here probably 7 years ago with Dave. We came for a day while staying in Avignon. Everything is pretty much how I remember it. Nice is like a much bigger Santa Barbara - with better food and about the same number of Americans aimlessly wandering.

I was one of those wandering Americans today. Except with my barely-there French, I can get away with not looking *quite* as ridiculous - at least in my opinion. I am probably deluding myself.

Anyway, here are a few pics from the day.

Farmers market, for everyday and not just the weekends!

And flowers too.

View from the old castle hill this afternoon.
  
Life really sucks.
 
Where am I possibly going to park the yacht?

I love this picture, look at the snow just off in the distance on the Alps.


While I am here, I hope to make it to Antibes by bike, Monaco, and possibly into the alpine foothills for a day on the Train De Pignes. Please send me suggestions if you have any.
 
As an aside, I realized why this flat was so cheap. It is freaking LOUD! The flat is located in the Vielle Ville, which is an amazing location: almost no traffic, meandering narrow roadways, close to the beach,  and cool buildings. However, noise in these narrow streets has the propensity to echo. Every sound made at the bars and cafes (that look so freaking cute during the day) is amplified and echos between the building walls. Last night at about 1:00am some dudes with a guitar started playing and singing in the street and people that walked by joined in. That would be very cute and French at 8:00pm, not so cute at 1:00am.

I am old and need my sleep. Effer. This cheap trip might suddenly get expensive if I cannot take it tomorrow night and have to move to a hotel......