Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Enemy - The Wee Brown Mouse

It happened in South Lake Tahoe on a fateful night in 2010.

We arrived at the cabin late at night and I started unpacking in preparation for the weekend. I opened the spoon drawer casually and saw about 400 (exaggeration for effect) mouse poos in there. I just as casually closed the drawer, informed Dave that he is the clean-up man for that job, and left the house for a while. Problem solved, not really. When I returned later, I opened the napkin/plastic baggie drawer and there was a small mouse nest made of napkins - with the little guy dead in the middle of his nest. Ew. Oh and more mouse poos. Ew.

So the other night, my husband (who shall remain nameless), opened the bedroom door onto the garden because he thought it was "hot" in the house. WTF it is January in London, but I digress. And so - a little mouse came into the house and made noise all night scurrying about. Thus begins operation Remove Wee Brown Mouse.

I really don't like this bold mouse. Yesterday while I was on a call for work, he scurried across the kitchen counter-top (I have NO IDEA how he got up there), I shrieked like an 8-year-old girl, and he ran back where he came from - only after falling into the metal sink and making the most awful panicked clawing noises while climbing out. I am realizing now that I should have stood on a chair while shrieking for full effect.

Dave suggested I could have banged him over the head with a pan while he was running around the counter-top...... To which I countered "STFU Donny, you're out of your element".

By the way, Dave is mouse-poo blind. I can spot them a mile away, it's a gift I have.

For example, this morning I had to show Dave that the mouse had been climbing (and pooing) all over his towel, neatly folded over the towel warmer in the bathroom (don't think we are posh with a towel warmer, it is a POS from Argos that will probably electrocute one of us before we move back to CA). This is one acrobatic mouse.

To be fair to Dave's poo-blindness, he is practically blind in one eye. Also, it doesn't help that I washed a black sweater in the washing machine/oven the other day and there is black lint ALL OVER the floor. The lint looks like little poos. Which freaks me out all the more.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. We have set up countermeasures, some humane and some not so much. All completely ineffective so far. In fact, I am at a cafe right now because I am afraid to be alone in the house with the wee brown mouse. Pathetic.

3 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Too bad Jada doesn't make overseas housecalls. She'd have that mouse down the hatch in seconds. She has basically cleared Tahoe of all mice and fuzzy small creatures.

Go ahead and stand on the counters, sister - I will barely judge you.

Anonymous said...

Grumble, grumble. Mice.

yanmaneee said...

nike air max
longchamp handbags
christian louboutin
golden goose
yeezys
converse outlet store
ralph lauren uk
lebron 10
jordan retro
hermes birkin